Synopsis: When six-year-old Laurel Logan was abducted, the only
witness was her younger sister. Faith’s childhood was dominated by Laurel’s
disappearance – from her parents’ broken marriage and the constant media
attention to dealing with so-called friends who only ever wanted to talk about
her sister. Thirteen years later, a
young woman is found in the garden of the Logans’ old house, disorientated and
clutching the teddy bear Laurel was last seen with. Laurel is home at last,
safe and sound. Faith always dreamt of getting her sister back, without ever
truly believing it would happen. But a disturbing series of events leaves Faith
increasingly isolated and paranoid, and before long she begins to wonder if
everything that’s lost can be found again…
My review: Well, where do I even start with this book? Any book which can make me audibly gasp with
its plot twist is a book worth reading, and a plot twist which surprises the
reader as much as the characters themselves impresses me (even if the character
was a little slow to catch on).
The story follows a younger sister as her missing sister
suddenly re-appears after 13 years, bearing a childhood of abuse from a man who
took her from her own front garden. I am
an older sibling, but not a younger one, so I was surprised to find myself so
easily able to relate to the character of Faith, and this quickly led to her
experiences affecting me in a way that I had to remind myself she wasn’t real. I also loved that Faith’s relationship with
her boyfriend was used in the plot of the book, but wasn’t overdone or rammed
down your throat; the non-sickly love was great, as too often great books are
ruined by interludes of unnecessary lovesick sections almost worth skipping
entirely!
What I appreciated most in this book, aside from the main
theme of the emotional rollercoaster of the return of a missing child, was the
LGBT representation included by author Cat Clarke. Now, as a gay
person, I do find myself gravitating towards books which include characters
like myself, however this wasn’t a book I expected representation in, and I am
not used to it being so naturally included.
The character’s sexuality had incredibly little effect on the storyline,
and didn’t appear to be included simply for the intention of gaining LGBT
readers, instead just being a minor point in their identity.
Overall, I would highly recommend this book to everyone,
especially to those with siblings, since I found myself regularly imagining how
I would react to the situations Faith and Laurel experienced if it was myself
involved. However, be careful, if you
are a sensitive person then this book may be a quite difficult read, in
particular some in depth discussions on what Laurel went through during her
time with her captor.
I would rate this book 🌟 4.5/5 🌟
No comments:
Post a Comment